Core Values Series: Involving the Supporting Community
Dear Parents and Friends of SCS,
I could sum up this whole blog in three words: BEST. COMMUNITY. EVER. Research repeatedly has shown that community engagement with schools increases student achievement and school improvement. I’d like to share some examples of SCS’s exceptional supporting community just in the last 2 weeks:
- Today, a retired staff member volunteered to come into school to dig through files to help re engage our alumni. (Who would honestly ask to dig through filing cabinets? Only someone who loves our school!)
- Yesterday, a parent volunteered to take one of our teacher candidates on a tour of Sheboygan to show why Sheboygan is an awesome place to live.
- Last Wednesday, our high school students went to ten different organizations in Sheboygan to serve in some shape or form, even when it was raining and cold.
- Last weekend, our community, including a significant number of alumni, raised $25,000 within 3 days, and another community member matched it. Exceptional generosity.
- A community member offered to make dinner for our seniors on Capstone Celebration Night (during literally the busiest week of the year).
- Multiple “retired” guys show up randomly at the school to fix stuff, to make our school more beautiful, and to encourage our teachers and students.
- A couple of community members volunteer secretly behind the scenes to make sure our technology and security is running smoothly (literally all hours of the night when no one else is around – very stealthily).
- Our community members love to spread the word about the great things happening at SCS via social media, in other communities, and sometimes to complete strangers.
- A couple of our community youth leaders play guitar for our chapels, often on a moments notice.
- A family donated to a class fund in the event a student may not be able to pay class dues.
- Countless community members come to student events, even if they are not biologically connected to students!
I know many of you could add to this list because you experience it every day too. What a blessing to be able to use each of our individual gifts to create such a beautifully rich community. Please help us expand it even further. How can we engage the supporting community even more? How can you get involved by sharing your part? If you have ideas, please let us know, so we can engage and continue to further His kingdom. We want you to be a part of it!
“Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.” 1 Corinthians 12:27
Grateful to be a part of it,
Director of Academics & Instruction